What is Depression?
- Depression is a shortage of imperativeness, an energetic passing of the spirit and soul of an individual to where they become purposeless because of stifling and hopeless over their actual selves.
- In other words, depression is a spiritual illness that induces a constant feeling of sadness and loss of interest. It affects how you feel, think and behave and can lead to various emotional and physical problems.
What does Islam say about depression?
Islam has a vital role in Muslims’ lives to help manage negative life experiences and act as a protecting factor to prevent and minister depression. Muslims are unsusceptible to mental health conditions like depression, and as such, seeking professional help is highly advised, just like in the case of any other type of illness; as the Quran mentions,
إِنَّ مَعَ ٱلْعُسْرِ يُسْرًا٥ فَإِنَّ مَعَ ٱلْعُسْرِ يُسْرًا
“So, verily, with every difficulty, there is relief: Verily, with every difficulty, there is relief” (Quran94: 5-6)
Islam always facilitates humans to seek hope even when one has done the worst sins or faced the most severe troubles, as Allah’s Mercy is always close. People to stay hopeful, even if someone has committed the worst sin or is faced with the most troublesome life event, as there is always Allah’s mercy,
“And never give up hope of Allah’s delicate Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah’s soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith” (Quran12: 87).
وَيَرْزُقْهُ مِنْ حَيْثُ لَا يَحْتَسِبُ ۚ وَمَن يَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى ٱللَّهِ فَهُوَ حَسْبُهُۥٓ ۚ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ بَٰلِغُ أَمْرِهِۦ ۚ قَدْ جَعَلَ ٱللَّهُ لِكُلِّ شَىْءٍ قَدْرًا
“He will provide for him from sources he never could imagine. And if anyone puts his trust in Allah, sufficient is Allah for him. For Allah will surely accomplish His purpose: verily, for all things has Allah appointed a due proportion” (Quran 65: 3)
What are the reasons for depression?
According to research, the primary cause of depression includes
- Long-term unemployment
- Family History
- Serious Medical Illness
- Drug and Alcohol Use
- Long-Term Isolation or Loneliness
- Prolonged work stress
- Hormonal Issues
- Early Childhood trauma
- Chronic illness
- Chronic Pain
Why was Surah Duha preferred as the relief of depression?
Background of Surah Duha
Surah Ad-Duha was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) when there was no revelation for six months, not in the form of a dream. During this period, the pagans of Mecca taunted Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and said that their Lord had forsaken him. They add that if he had been right about the divine mission, the revelation would not have caused Him. The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) was very disturbed, feeling suspicious and depressed and believing that Allah was displeased with Him, forgotten Him.
Surah Ad-Duha was revealed to the Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) to relieve him of these negative feelings and depression and give him hope, positivity, and the assurance that Allah is with Him no matter what.
What does Surah Ad-Duha explain?
- Allah’s Mercy.
- The brightest Morning.
- The Blessings of Darkness.
- Allah will never Leave You.
- Life of Hereafter is better than the first life.
- Allah is the best Provider.
- Allah is the best Helper.
- The best Consultant.
- Be Kind to others.
- Be Thankful to Allah.
What are the symptoms that you are going through with depression?
All these symptoms don’t need to be found in every patient. However, if any patient has any four of these symptoms, he is suffering from depression.
- Staying sorrowful and distressed.
- Being neutral in doing things that one previously enjoyed.
- Feeling physical fatigue and weakness.
- Not being able to concentrate on daily activities.
- Thinking of being inferior to others or a decrease in self-confidence.
- Considering oneself to be useless and blaming oneself for minor and insignificant past matters.
- Losing hope in the future.
- Restless sleep.
- Feeling unhungry.
- Having thoughts of suicide or attempting suicide.
How to Overcome Depression?
Islam values the significance of good mental health and emotional well-being. The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) teaches us different ways to overcome depression, stress, anxiety and negative thoughts.
Which Quranic Surahs are for Depression?
- Surah Al-Rehman– It lowers depression in one’s heart. A depressed person needs a source to turn to God for help, support, mercy, and forgiveness to help in reducing sadness and other symptoms of depression.
- Surah Yusuf – Numerous lessons can emanate from many deals with hardship.
- Surah Inshirah- Allah tells the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) how He eased the pain by revealing the Quran.
Supplications to Overcome Depression.
The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) teaches us different Duas to overcome depression and negative thoughts.
اللّهُـمَّ رَحْمَتَـكَ أَرْجـوفَلا تَكِلـني إِلى نَفْـسي طَـرْفَةَ عَـيْن، وَأَصْلِـحْ لي شَأْنـي كُلَّـه لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أنْـت
O Allah, I hope for Your mercy. Please do not leave me to myself even for the blinking of an eye (i.e., one moment)—correct all of my affairs. There is none worthy of worship but You.
لا إلَهَ إلاَّ اللَّهُ الْعَظـيمُ الْحَلِـيمْ، لا إلَهَ إلاَّ اللَّهُ رَبُّ العَـرْشِ العَظِيـمِ، لا إلَهَ إلاَّ اللَّهُ رَبُّ السَّمَـوّاتِ ورّبُّ الأَرْضِ ورَبُّ العَرْشِ الكَـريم
There is no God except Allah, the All-Mighty, the Forbearing; there is no God except Allah, the Lord of the Mighty Throne. (And) There is no God except Allah, Lord of the heavens, Lord of the earth, and Lord of the noble Throne.
يَا حَيُّ يَا قَيُّوْمُ بِرَحْمَتِكَ أَسْتَغِيْث
O Living, O Sustaining, in Your Mercy, I seek relief !!!
- The below Dua was the supplication of Prophet Yunus (AS) when He was in the Stomach of a whale. Holy Prophet (SAW) said that Allah would remove his distress for every person in a state of distress who uses this supplication.
لا إلهَ إلا أنتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنْتُ مِنَ الظّالِمِيْنَ
“There is no God but you; Glory is to You; I was one of the wrongdoers.”
- Shall I not teach you some words to say when you feel distressed, Depression and Worries?
اللهُ اللهُ رَبِّ لا أُشْـرِكُ بِهِ شَيْـئاً
Allah, Allah, my Lord, I do not associate anything with Him.
If you have a hard time memorizing dua, here are a few tips for dua memorization, and you can also join ourDua memorization course.
How to set your daily routine to Overcome depression?
The human lifestyle played a vital role in their mental situation. Here are the ten common ways to overcome depression and stress.
- Discovering and Specifying a Support System
- Counselling by Others
- Observing Our Diet Plan
- Walking Outdoors
- Staying Hydrated
- Deep Meditation
- Be Thankful for What You Have
- Be Patient
- Building Daily Routines
- Mindful Prayer
- Addressing Issues with our Hands- Changing the Situation