Prostration has plenty of medical advantages:
Prostration is a unique position in regular prayers. A Muslim is supposed to offer at least five times a day. However, the primary purpose of obligatory prayers is not to provide exercise for people. Yet it is increasingly recognized that it has plenty of medical advantages for the human body. Here it is worth mentioning that Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) has said in a hadith:
‘Prayer Is a Cure for Many Diseases’ [Ibn Majah]
In Prostration, the forehead touches the ground and is exclusively associated with the Muslim form of Prayer. Mentioned in a hadith, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
“The nearest a servant comes to his Lord is when he is prostrating himself, so make supplication’ (in this state)” [Muslim]
In a Hadith narrated by Anas bin Malik (R) Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) advised Muslims to perform Rukuu (bowing) and Sajda properly. In another Hadith, Prophet (peace be upon him) advised him to serve Sajdah to bend calmly and to get up only when the body has come to ease. Hence the first positive effect upon a person who prostrates or does Sajda is that he comes nearest to Allah. Therefore in this condition, he can supplicate.
Praying to Allah Almighty in the position of Sajdah is the best way to ask and convince Allah SWT. So, Say a lot of Prayers (dua) in Sajda.
Medical Benefits Of Prostration:
This is a great advantage, and it gives a soothing relief to the person concerned as life is full of worries. Moreover, he gets at least a temporary refuge from severe problems in this position.
- Prostration is a unique position. This is the only position in which the brain (or head) becomes lower than the heart. In the part of prostration, due to the increased blood supply, the brain receives more nourishment. As a result, it has a good effect on memory, vision, hearing, concentration, psyche, and all other cognitive abilities.
- People who offer their prayers regularly have more willpower. They have less incidence of headaches, psychological problems, and other defects of cognitive function. In the unique position of prostration, the neck muscles get the best exercise. One can note the tense pressure at the neck muscles in the place of prostration. Especially the active motion of the neck and the facial muscles when the head is lifted, e.g. one inch above the ground. It will be noticed that they are in a very active motion.
- It is uncommon that a person who offers his prayers regularly will get the usual neck myalgias (muscle pain) or cervical spondylosis (regular wear on the cervical spine). The neck muscles become very strong due to the 34 Prostration offered daily in five prayers.
- The unique position of Prostration also has positive effects on the back muscles. At the same time, going into Prostration and getting up from it, the back muscles contract actively. They become stronger. This is probably because a person who is regular in prayers will (rarely) get backache.
- Prostration is the best way to discharge harmful electromagnetic rays from your body. When your head is associated with the ground during Prostration, gravity can attract everything towards itself. So, it absorbs all the harmful rays from a person prostrating. It is scientifically proved!
Finally, it must be reminded that (even though) Prayer is not meant to be an exercise, there are many medical advantages associated with it. Still, the best blessing is the peace of mind, which a person derives from accomplishing his duty to Allah by fulfilling an obligation.
Click here to Join our Quranic Journey toward heaven 🙂