“And He it is Who made the night a covering for you, and the sleep a rest, and He made the day to rise up again” [ 25 : 47]
Sleep is considered equal to death. It has been linked to death because one can’t predict he is going to wake up with life or not. Keeping the fear in mind that may be my eyes are not going to open again. There are few deeds before sleeping we should perform before sleep these deeds are the tips for a good sleep.
If we bring the ‘Sunn’ah before sleeping’ into play it is for sure we can achieve a peaceful relaxing sleep. If we spend our sleeping in the way of the Prophet (Peace be upon him) then In Sha Allah we will gain some benefit as this will become worship
Following are the beautiful Ways/Deeds/Sunn’ah/Tips before sleeping for a better sleep.
SUNNAH BEFORE SLEEPING
Following are the to do’s before sleep
Ablution before Sleeping
Prophet (Peace be upon him) said:
“Whenever you go to bed perform ablution like that for the prayer, lie or your right side. Then if you die on that very night, you will die with faith (i.e. or the religion of Islam). Let the aforesaid words be your last utterance (before sleep) “ [Bukhari]
Dust off Your Bed before Sleeping
Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet (Peace be upon him) said:
“When one of you goes to bed, he should dust his bed with the inside of his lower garment. [Bukhari]
Putting Lamps out before Sleeping
Ibn ‘Umar heard the Prophet (Peace be upon him) said:
“Do not leave a fire burning in your houses. It is an enemy.” [Bukhari]
EXCELLENCE OF SUPPLICATION BEFORE SLEEP
- Ayesha (R.A.) narrates that when Prophet (Peace be upon him) used to go to the room for sleep, he used to recite Suras Ikhlaas, Falaq, Nass and blow onto his hand (palms) in such a manner that the saliva would drop on them and then he would rub them over his body three times starting from the front of the face (Bukhari, Muslim)
- Prophet (Peace be upon him) also used to recite Ayat-tul-Qursi as Allah has stipulated that the reciter will be protected throughout the night by the angels and the Satan will not come near (Bukhari)
- According to the hadith narrated by Jabir who said that, the Prophet (Peace be upon him) said that, ‘Recite Bismillah whilst closing the doors and cover any utensils i.e. water, food, etc. and switch off the light.
- ‘Surah al Mulk is the protector from the torment of the grave’ [Sahihul Jamiea 1/680, Hakim 2/498 & Nasai]
POSITIONS WHILE SLEEPING
Narrated by Abu Hurayrah
When Prophet (Peace be upon him) saw a man lying on his stomach he said,
“This is a method of lying down which Allah does not like.” Al-Tirmidhi
Narrated by Abu Dharr
The Prophet (Peace be upon him) came upon him when he was lying on his stomach, jerked him with his foot and said, “Jundub, only those who go to Hell (the Shayateen) lie like this!” Al-Tirmidhi
Imam Shafa’i (may Allah have mercy upon him) states that there are four types of sleep
1. One is to lie on the back this is the sleep of the Prophets,
2. One is to sleep on the right side which is the sleep of the worshipers,
3. One is to sleep on the left which is the sleep of the rulers
4. And one is to sleep on the stomach that is the sleep of the devil.
We should sleep according to the Sunn’ah as there are many benefits including health benefits.
5 DEEDS BEFORE SLEEPING
The Prophet (Peace be upon him) once told Hazrat Ali (R.A) to perform 5 things before going to sleep
Hazrat Ali (R.A) replied
“Oh Prophet (Peace be upon him) how will i be able to complete these impossible actions?
The Prophet (Peace be upon him) replied by reading:
1. Recite Surah Fatiha 4 times is equal to giving 4000 dinars to charity.
2. Recite Surah Iqhlaas 3 times is equal to the reward of reciting the Holy Quran once.
3. Durood Sharif 10 times, is equal to paying the price of paradise
4. Recite Astagfirullah 10 times is equal to making peace between two Muslim brothers.
5. Recite Third Kalimah 4 times is equal to performing one Hajj.
Hazrat Ali (R.A) replied Oh Prophet (Peace be upon him) now I will always perform these actions before going to sleep.”