Memory is one of the biggest blessings of Allah (SWT). Why not thank Him for this blessing by memorizing His Eternal gift to this world ‘The Holy Quran’. The importance and Benefits of Qur’an recitation and memorization are narrated by Qur’an and many Hadith.
Allah says in the Holy Quran (interpretation of the meaning):
“Those who recite the Book of Allah, establish regular prayer, and spend (in charity) out of what We have provided for them, secretly and openly, hope for commerce that will never fail” (Fatir 35:29)
Abdullah ibn Amr ibn Al-As (May Allah bless him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said,
“The one who was devoted to the Qur’an will be told on the Day of Resurrection: `Recite and ascend (in ranks) as you used to recite when you were in the world. Your rank will be at the last Ayah you recite.”[Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].
This Hadith basically mentions the merit of those who memorize part or all of the Holy Qur’an. Some scholars, in explaining this Hadith, have mentioned that the number of ranks (levels) in Paradise is equal to the number of ayahs in the Holy Qur’an and that a believer will rise one rank for each ayah that he or she memorizes.
In another Hadith, Othman ibn Affan (May Allah bless him) reported that the Messenger of Allah Peace be upon Him said,
“The best amongst you is the one who learns the Qur’an and teaches it.” [Al-Bukhari].
Some techniques for memorizing Quran:
Take a look:
- First of all, make sure to correct your tawbah (repentance to Allah), as sins do not leave any room for the Words of Allah (SWT). Imam Al-Shafie has a famous verse of poetry in which he complained to his scholar about having difficulty in memorizing and his scholar advised him to abandon sins.
- Have your intention ready, and bear in your mind the reward and virtues of this great deed as mentioned in the Hadith above. Ask Allah (SWT) sincerely to assist you in accomplishing this.
- Dedicate a specific time each day for memorizing Quran. This should be a time when you are not busy with otherworldly things. This practice will help you in increasing your Faith(Imaan) InshaAllah!
- Use the same copy of the Holy Qur’an each time. This is because your mind takes a ‘snapshot’ of the pages you use while memorizing.
- Start with the Surahs that are most easy for you. Many Scholars recommend beginning with the last five juz’s (the 30th, then the 29th, and so on).
- Other Surahs, to begin with, are those that you enjoy reciting most of all, and those that you frequently listen to and thus probably already know part of by heart.
- The younger you are, the easier it will be for you to memorize Qur’an. As you grow older, you get busier, and thus your capacity for memorizing decreases. However, it’s never too late Insha’Allah. If you haven’t yet memorized a lot during your childhood or teens, you can still catch up.
- Use Audios to memorize Qur’an. It’s a proven fact that minds always catch up the audios fast and they last for longer. You may get Audio Cassettes of Qur’an recitation and can listen to it while keeping your eyes on your copy of the Qur’an, this will also help you in improving your pronunciation. Alternatively, you can also read it loudly while memorizing. This will help in memorizing Qur’an fast and effectively.
- After completing a couple of ayahs, recite them in the very next Nawafil (voluntary prayer) that you pray. Also, practice them with a friend or your spouse.
- Finally, it might be a good idea to work in groups and encouraging one another. If you are trying to get your children to memorize, you might want to create a sense of competition among them and then provide some reward to whoever memorizes it best.
Remember, as Qur’an is a book of Allah (SWT) so what’s important to memorize it is complete FAITH in Him and to strive for his WILL. So accelerate yourself with these two things and drive yourself properly with the help of these techniques. May Allah(SWT) guide us to all that pleases Him, Ameen.