As mentioned previously, there are different types of Haj
j. The Hajj recommended by the Prophet (PBUH) is called Hajj Tamatu’, which will focus on this blog. We can divide the steps of Hajj Tamatu’ into two basic categories: before 8th and on 8th Dhul Hijjah. Because in Hajj, Tamatu’ Umrah and Hajj are separated. The following steps are required when performing Hajj Tamatu’:
Sunnahs of 8th Dhul Hijjah
- Put on ihram from Meeqat or before reaching Meeqat in the month of Hajj.
- Make the intention to perform Umrah.
- Say the Talbiyah لبْيكَ اللَّهُمَّ َلَّبيْك، َلَّبْيكَ لاَ شَرْيكَ َلكَ َلَّبيْك إنَّ اْلحَ ْمَد وَ الِّنْعمَةَ َلكَ وَ اْلمُلكُ لاَ شَرِيكَ لَك، (Here I am O Allah, (in response to Your call), here I am. Here I am; you have no partner; here I am. Indeed all the Praise, Grace, and Sovereignty belong to You. You have no partner(.
- Perform Tawaf Umrah
- Pray two raka’t behind Maqam Ibrahim. It is recommended that you recite Surah Al-Kafirun and Surah al-Ihklas.
- Drink Zamzam water
- Perform Sayee (i.e., walking between Safa and Marwa 7 times)
- After finishing the Sa’eey, shave (men) or cut your hair (for women).
With the above steps, the Umrah is complete, and the ihram can be taken off. Wait for the 8th of Dhul Hijjah. You are no longer in the state of ihram.
8th Dhul-Hijjah is the official start date of Hajj. On this day, the pilgrims prepare themselves for the journey ahead. The following steps are to be taken for the 8th Day of Dhul-Hijjah:
- Pilgrims put on Ihram again
- Make the intention to perform Hajj
- Make your way to Mina reciting the Talbiyah لبْيكَ اللَّهُمَّ َلَّبيْك، َلَّبْيكَ لاَ شَرْيكَ َلكَ َلَّبيْك إنَّ اْلحَ ْمَد وَ الِّنْعمَةَ َلكَ وَ اْلمُلكُ لاَ شَرِيكَ لَك،. (Here I am O Allah (in response to Your call), here I am. Here I am; you have no partner; here I am. Indeed, all the Praise, Grace, and Sovereignty belong to You. You have no partner). Pilgrims begin walking to Mina after Fajr prayer and usually reach there just before Dhuhr. Note: The Dhuhr, ‘Asr, Maghrib, and Isha prayers are shortened but not combined during the stay at Mina.
- After praying Fajr of the next day (9th of Dhul Hijjah), proceed to ‘Arafat. The pilgrims should reach ‘Arafat just before Dhuhr’s prayer. I will explain the 9th of Dhul-Hijjah in detail in the following article InshaAllah.
Teach Your Kids Quran Online With Tajweed