The first ten days of Dhul Hijjah are full of virtues and great blessings. According to a large group of mufassireen (commentators of the Qur’aan), the ten nights mentioned in Soorah Al Fajr are the nights of the first ten days of Dhul Hijjah. Allah says:
“By the Dawn; By the ten Nights.”(89:1-2)
The Prophet (peace be upon him) too, has clearly mentioned the importance and the virtue of these blessed moments. It is reported by Abdullah Ibne Abbaas R.A that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
“No good deeds done on other days are superior to those done on these (first ten days of Dhul Hijjah).”
Thereupon, some companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
“Not even Jihaad ? ” He replied, “Not even jihaad, except that of a man who does it by putting himself and his property in danger (for Allah’s sake) and does not return with any of these things.” [Bukhaari V1 pp132]
10 Things to do in the First Ten Days of Dhul Hijjah :
1. Make sincere Tawbah and Istighfaar (seek Allah’s forgiveness).
2. Recite Takbeer (Allaahu Akbar).
3. Recite Tahleel (Laa ilaa ha illAllaah).
4. Recite Tahmeed (Alhamdulillah).
* One may even recite Tasbeeh (Subhaanallah).
5. Perform nafl Salaah in accordance with Shar’iah, recite Qur-aan and Salawaat on the Rasoolullah (Sallallahu ‘Alayhi wa Sallam) in accordance to Shar’iah.
6. Give sadaqah.
7. Do extra good deeds in general and refrain from bad ones.
8. Fast on the 9th day of Dhul-Hijjah (Yaum-ul ‘Arafah).
9. Make Ud-hiyyah (sacrificing an animal on the 10th day of Dhul Hijjah)
10. Perform Hajj and Umrah, if you are able to.